In all seriousness this is the hardest thing to convince job seekers to do, but can be one of the most important! There are several reasons to cold call an employer:
1. To obtain information about:
- Unadvertised openings
- Contact names and/or preferences
- Hiring practices in general
- Unadvertised internship or community group opportunities
- Hiring trends - types of positions, how often they hire, when they might hire next
- Industry trends
- Make a list of employers you would like to contact
- Generate a script or at least a goal of your conversation
- Obtain contact information for each
- Research each for as much information as you can gather - cold calls sometimes result in impromptu interviews!
- Plan a block of time to make the calls
- Just do it!