Telephone, interview and second interview completed - check.
Thank you notes sent - check.
Waiting for THE CALL that will notify you that you are being offered the job - check.
THE CALL comes and the caller id shows that the caller is THE EMPLOYER from whom you are awaiting an offer. You slow your heart and answer the phone with a gulp and a smile. SLOWLY you begin to follow the caller's words and your entire body sags into a nearby chair.
"It was a difficult decision. You are an excellent candidate. Thank you for your interest. UNFORTUNATELY we have decided to offer the job to ANOTHER CANDIDATE....."
There are few words that you can say or can be said to assuage the disappointment of a non-job offer.
- Thank the caller immediately - employers don't always notify those that are not hired.
- Ask for feedback - this is difficult, but can make all the difference in your next opportunity.
- Get back on the horse - if you have laid back on your job search hoping for this offer regroup and restart!
- Seek out people, things, and activities that will bolster you and help salve your self-esteem.
- After a little time has passed assess the opportunity and non-job offer. If there was something you could have changed make note and learn from it. If not, move on to your next opportunity.