Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thursday Thought November 1, 2012


A NEW DAY TO START OVER

I started out my day yesterday by accidentally knocking over the glass French Press full of hot coffee.  I was barefoot.  The carafe cut me and the coffee burnt me. Yesterday was not a good day. 
My foot hurt and reminded me constantly how I was:  careless, clumsy, inattentive, silly…. All kinds of very negative thoughts filled my head. To top it off I had to shell out the money for a new pot or go without coffee!
As it turns out, the kitchen store sells a variety of replacement glass carafes… I couldn’t find the model I needed, but was reassured by the fact that obviously other people had bad days that started out with pots of coffee, cuts and burns.
“The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word “crisis.” One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity.” – Richard Nixon
Literally, I spent the entire day not considering that other people might have faced a similar fate and, most likely, felt much the same as I did.  Did this realization make my pain or embarrassment go away?  No.
But, knowing that other people had faced a similar fate and also had to find a way to deal with it brought me some comfort.  More, it made me feel a little more connected and grounded.
One of the first things I try to do with new clients is to help them understand what they are feeling is normal.  Not to take away from the fact that they are [fill in the negative feeling here], but to understand that they are not alone.  They are connected. 

STARTING OVER IS HARD

Depending on your mindset, facing a new day to start over might be a good OR a bad thing….For me it is almost always good; my glass is almost always half full.  But, I have had some hard times where it wasn't so easy to see the glass, even.
I believed there was a glass and understood that some people saw that is was half full and others half empty.  Sometimes I couldn't see the glass because I was crying too hard.  Other times, I turned my head.
If you are unemployed it may be very difficult for you to be positive right now.  You may be hanging onto your negative view out of habit or it might be a lifelong tendency.  Either way, you will have more success in your job search if you can take the positive view.
The choice is yours.  You get to choose, every day, whether be negative or positive.  You get to choose, every day, what to do with what you do have.  You get to choose, every day, how to get what you want.  Every day. 
How will you start your new day?

 Other articles that may be of interest:

Oct 03, 2012
Even if you are not quite sure where it is you want to go, start moving! Sometimes your path becomes clearer as you turn a bend or cross over a hill. Get out there and do something - you won't regret it. I promise. Posted by ...
Mar 08, 2012
Mary Sevinsky is master's-prepared and has over 18 years of experience in vocational assessment, counseling and testimony, primarily assisting clients who are changing careers. Don't forget new job image from Shutterstock ...
Sep 07, 2012
When does the employer want you to start? What are the next steps in the hiring process? What is the pay, benefits, bonus? To whom and what location should you report? What additional paperwork or other things will you ...
Aug 23, 2012
It doesn't have to be anything fancy - it can be as simple as making a list of things you need to do and sources of jobs and divvying them out over the course of the week. Having a schedule also ensures that each day will ... Sunday: Review and apply to help wanted ads online and/or in classifieds (If your local paper comes out on a different day, start this schedule from that day and change the below dates accordingly…) Monday: Call those ads that request a call and ...
1
2
3
4
5
6

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Follow me on Google +

Popular Posts