Wednesday, February 27, 2013

VICARIOUS LEARNING - IT'S THE BEST

WEDNESDAY WORDS

http://www.morguefile.com/creative/cohdra
I was reading a colleagues article yesterday about choices.  In her article, J.T. O'Donnell related an incident in her music class that reminded her about a message she learned early on, "we are never choice-less."  It reminded me of a time in the fifth or sixth grade (a distant memory!).

We were in English class and learning spelling or vocabulary words, my favorite.  Now that I am sitting down to write this I realize it must have been vocabulary because I clearly remember the AHA moment when she wrote the word on the board:

VICARIOUS

Then she wrote the definition on the board in her neat and well scripted chalkboard writing hand:

Experienced through somebody else rather than at first hand, by using sympathy or the power of the imagination.

What could be better? Let others suffer their bad decisions (choices) while you learn from it!  Genius.  

Over the years I have been reminded of the power of this concept, but far too infrequently.  Primarily I only apply it when something strikes me close to home.  I'll have to remember that, I think.  Sometimes I lose track of it.  Always I wish I didn't.

Sometimes as we go through life we face similar problems or issues at a different [more challenging] level.  If we are thoughtful or seek out advice we do better this time around.  Not always.  It seems that some of us are just prone to carry our same issues throughout the whole of our life. 

In career counseling we often call this a weakness and prepare clients to answer the interview question, "What are some of your weaknesses or something you find you have to work on?" As we all strive to be our best selves each day, I am prompted to ask this of myself and you.

What are some of your weaknesses that may be keeping you from being your best self and how can you overcome or improve this?  Comment below or email me! 



Other articles that may be of interest:

Sep 13, 2012
Making time during the day to learn something new will not only give you something interesting to discuss at the dinner table or at a networking meeting. It will keep you sharp and provide a sense of mastery. In a job search it ...
Nov 27, 2012
LiveMocha provides you with the opportunity to learn a foreign language - another great way to keep your mind sharp and exercise your neurons a bit. You can trade teaching English for learning another language or just ...
Jan 26, 2012
BlackBerry 10 available mid-March in the US, Feb 5th in Canada, tomorrow in the UK - [image: BlackBerry 10 available midMarch in the US, Feb 5th in Canada, JAN 31st in the UK] If you like what you've seen so far from RIM ...
Nov 13, 2012
How do you cope with unemployment a during Thanksgiving? Like any loss, a... Tuesday Tip November 27, 2012. LEARN SOMETHING NEW Photo from: http://www.morguefile.com/creative/cohdra Learning to look for work is ...
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Follow me on Google +

Popular Posts