Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thursday Thought October 4, 2012



JUST TAKE THAT FIRST STEP
   

Sometimes you don't always know what to do.  Sometimes you think you do and find out you were wrong.  Whatever the case you will always find that action will be more beneficial than action if you are not sure which way to proceed.  

"Natural Sight" by digitalart

This is not to say I would recommend making that first step running at full speed over a cliff!  Give some thought and care.  Ask advice or guidance.  In the end, though you will have to choose your own path to follow or yu will choose to stand still.

IT IS UNLIKELY YOU WILL FALL OFF A CLIFF

When I was 15 my family relocated to a small, upstate New York town near my grandparents as my father retired from the Air Force.  My junior year was miserable - everyone in the school had gone to school from kindergarten up.

I wanted to quit high school.  Not knowing how, I thankfully went to the office and was thankfully referred to the guidance counselor who changed my path considerably.  

Once he understood my plan to quit school and my adolescent reasons for doing so, he arranged for me to double up some classes and attend a local community college for the remainder.  My college credits were transferred back to the high school and I received my diploma as if nothing had happened.

Following some other questionable decisions and diversions (I'll save these for another day) I went on to get my Masters of Science in Counseling Psychology and have been in a field I love (Vocational Counseling) for my entire adult life.

This one step - choosing a goal and sticking to it - changes everything.
 Scott Reed quotes (African-American author of poetry, essays, and satiric novels, b.1938)

THERE IS USUALLY MORE THAN ONE WAY TO GET SOMEWHERE

What might have happened if I stayed in school and spent a whole, miserable two years?  Maybe I would be telling the same tale.  Maybe not.  But, I chose to make a change, take that first step, and found a path to take me where I needed to go.  You can too.

Start your journey by:


  1. Thinking about how you would like your life to be
  2. Assessing your strengths and weaknesses
  3. Enlisting help, support, and resources
  4. Sooner rather than later, start moving in a direction that makes sense
  5. Periodically check the road and map ahead
  6. Readjust your path as needed.


You will get there.  If not immediately, you will at least get closer.  Just take some action and make it happen for yourself.  Nobody else can do it for you!

Where do you want to go? 



Other articles that may be of interest:

16 hours ago
Sometimes your path becomes clearer as you turn a bend or cross over a hill. Get out there and do something - you won't regret it. I promise. Posted by Mary Sherwood at 3:59 PM · Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to ...
Sep 10, 2012
You may have changed employers or jobs as other opportunities presented themselves. But in all likelihood you didn't plan your current career path. Now you can take the time to consider an plan a new path - you never know ...
Sep 17, 2012
Life is about having a balance and consciously choosing the path that will give you the best future, but also the best present and past possible. No small order! You will have a better chance at living every moment to it's fullest ...
Sep 12, 2012
... attainable, and/or realistic goals. Certainly many folks just never get around to writing them down. So, if you haven't set any - let's set some! If you have, let's review and make sure that your are on the path to achieving them.
1
2

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Follow me on Google +

Popular Posts